|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
HOME ABOUT MASTER INDEX CEMETERIES SCHOOLS
LOCATIONS RESEARCH HELP MEMBER’S INTERESTS LOCATIONS |
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Bottle Kilns at Benhar
Pottery Works c 1930 |
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
A GAZETTEER OF SOUTH OTAGO
PLACE NAMES |
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Like all regions, place names in South Otago reflect
the lives of the people who lived here, both Maori
and Pakeha. Some are descriptive of the land, sea and rivers, some
names reflect with nostalgia, the places where people came from, their dreams
and aspirations, some remember those of influence and character. As the
railway siding sheds and district halls with the
name displayed on them disappear and small district schools closed over the
years, many of these names have gone from sight and from common use as
districts merge and populations shift.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Fairfax |
Early name for Tokoiti |
|
FalseIsland/False Islet |
Northern headland at mouth of Catlins River |
Maori name ‘Otara’. Narrow neck of land could not be seen from sea, misled whalers who thought was an island |
Ferry, The |
Early name for north side of Clutha River where travellers would be ferried across. The town of Balclutha was to grow from here |
‘The Ferry’ c1870 (ferry pole still visible in front of Balclutha Hotel) |
Finegand |
Two miles south of Balclutha and site of South Otago Freezing Works. |
Name given by John SHAW, early landholder, reminiscent of his home in the Highlands of Scotland |
Fisherman’s Hill |
High ground south of Karoro stream above Willsher Bay |
Maori name ‘Taita’ after a Maori boy who died there. Also called ‘Taukohu’ (1844) |
Fleming River |
Small river flowing into estuary of Tautuku River. |
Named after Hon DT FLEMING who accompanied J MacKENZIE and Sir T MacKENZIE on visits to Catlins |
Florence Hill |
Prominent hill between Papatowai and Tautuku affording stunning view of Tautuku Bay |
|
Four Mile Creek |
Small creek that runs across Main South Road at foot of a steep hill – tributary of Toiro Stream. |
Reputed by waggoners to be 4 miles west of Clutha Ferry. |
Fraser’s Stream |
Rises near Taratu and flows through Lovells Flat into Lake Tuakitoto |
Named after early settlers in district |
Freston Hill |
Hill on seaward side on Tunnel Hill, Glenomaru/Otekura district |
Origin of name unknown |
Gabriels Gully |
3km from Lawrence |
Australian prospector, Gabriel READ discovered gold in the valley on 20 May 1861, beginning the Otago Gold Rush |
Glenelg |
Name from run around head of Puerua River |
|
Glenfalloch |
Run near Warepa |
Named by Robert CAMPBELL after village at head of Loch Lomond, Scotland |
Glengarry |
Alternative name for ‘Scotsman’s Bonnet’ |
Named by McLATCHIE family |
Glenkenich |
|
|
Glenledi |
16km from Milton |
Seaside settlement originally named ‘Glen Lady’ by daughter of Rev DEWES |
Glenomaru |
District and old railway station, 12 mls from Balclutha on Owaka Highway. Also stream that flows into Puerua |
Name is hybrid – Scottish ‘Glen’ and Maori ‘O-Maru’. Maru was Ngaitahu chief |
Glenore |
District on Lawrence and Central Otago highway, 8km from Milton |
Name as that of property of early settler, CAMERON. Originally known as The Woolshed |
Greenfield |
District up north side of Clutha River , 26km from Balclutha |
Named after Greenfield Estate, which was named such by runholder James G SMITH, 1865. Run was covered with native tussock grass except one small paddock sown with English grass seed. Former name of run was Riverbank |
Guernsey Hill |
Hill in Waitepeka district |
Early settler A QUERTIER, born on Guernsey Island brought Guernsey cattle with them to farm |
Hay’s Cap |
Originally a gap between a large rock and the mainland through which beach road ran, between Kaka Point and The Nuggets |
Named after early settler, George HAY. Maori name ‘Puni-wai-torika’ after Maori woman who was killed there in tribal fighting |
Hayward Point |
Southern headland at Catlins River estuary. |
Cptn HAYWARD was harbourmaster at Catlins and was drowned at Long Point along with son Frank and W WILSON in 1887 |
Helensbrook |
District south of Milton |
Named after wife of John HARDY, Provincial Secretary 1861-62 and early settler |
Hillend |
High ground between Lovells Flat and Clutha River, 17km from Balclutha |
Description name given by surveyors, to run held by MAITLAND brothers in 1860’s ‘Pukepito’ is same name in Maori i.e. ‘puke’ – a hill, ‘pito’ – end. |
Hinahina |
District on SE shore of Catlins Lake 5km from Owaka |
Hinahina is name of native tree – or whitey wood (Melicytus remiflorus) |
Hinahina Hill |
Hill between Catlins Lake and the coast |
|
Houipapa |
District and old railway station 10km from Owaka |
‘Houi’ name for native tree Hoheria populnea (Ribbonwood) ‘papa’ flat |
Hukihuki |
River near Chaslands |
Means ‘roasting spit for fish’ |
Hunt’s Road |
Old railway station on Catlin’s River line, 5km nth of Owaka |
Named after George HUNT, early settler. |
Inch Clutha/ Inchclutha |
Land between Matau and Koau branches of Clutha River, 1km from Stirling |
Maori name ‘Tauhinu’ a native shrub (Pomaderris phylicaefolia). Early settlers knew it as ‘Bloody Jack’s Island’ after Tuhawaiki who was born there |
Invertiel |
Between Balclutha and Finegand, alongside Clutha River |
|
Iwikatea |
Old Maori name for sandy flat below where the Clutha River divides at Balclutha. |
‘Katea’ is whitened, ‘Iwi’ is bone in reference to bleached bones lying about after tribal fight. |
Jack’s Bay |
Small bay about a mile sth of
Catlins River estuary. Hayward Point is northern headland |
Name refers to John Tuhawaiki |
Jack’s Island |
Off southern end of Jack’s Bay |
|
Jackman’s Stream |
Small creek flowing into Glenomaru
Stream |
Named after JACKMAN, early settler and sawmill owner |
Jacob’s Hill |
Prominent hill overlooking Newhaven |
Named after an old maori |
Johnstone |
5km from Waitahuna |
Named after surveyor of district |
Kahuika |
District between Caberfeidh and Maclennan,
24km from Owaka |
Said to mean ‘meeting of the waters’ |
Kaihiku |
Old railway siding in district between Warepa and Waiwera,
19km from Balclutha |
‘Kai’ is food, ‘hiku’ tail of fish. |
Kaihiku Range |
Prominent range running from Warepa to Clinton |
|
Kaihiku River |
Rise southern slopes of Kaihiku
Range |
Flows into Clutha River 6mls upstream from Balclutha |
Kaimaitaitai |
Name for old port at The Nuggets, 30km from Balclutha |
‘Kai’ food, ‘mataitai ‘salty’ |
Kaitangata Kaitangata Coal Mine c1890 |
Coal mining centre in South Otago situated on Matau branch of
Clutha River, 13km from Balclutha |
One meaning given -‘Kai’ to eat,
food; ‘tangata’ man’. Battle fought here
between two tribes over eeling rights, chief Mokomoko being killed and eaten by victors. Another
is that was named for Kaitakata of Arai-te-uru canoe who found type of
clay used in painted designs. Another version is based on mythology,
Rupe’s son, Kaitangata was crushed by a heavy beam and his blood spread
across the heavens, explaining sky at sunset. |
Kaiwera |
Stream flowing around south side of Otaraia
Hill into Waipahi River. |
Corruption of ‘Kahuwera’, hot
clothes. ‘Kaiwera’ would be hot food |
Kaka Point |
Seaside town between Port Molyneux and Karoro Creek, 22km from
Balclutha |
Name refers to native parrot once common in district |
Kakapuaka |
Old railway station and township 3mls west of Balclutha |
Railway station was originally Waitepeka
and post office Kakapuaka. Settlers
petitioned to change railway station to Kakapuaka |
Karoro Creek |
Small creek flowing into Willsher Bay |
Maori name for black backed gull OR short for Ka-o-Ue,
fire of Ue |
Katea |
District 5km up Hunts Road, 5km from Owaka |
Probably abbreviation of ‘kahikatea’ the white pine |
Kenneth Peak |
Mountain 1mile nth of Tahakopa River |
|
Koau River |
Commencing just below railway bridge at Balclutha, the Koau River
is the branch of the Clutha River forming western boundary of Inch Clutha and
southern boundary of Balclutha |
Koau is Maori name for pied shag. |
Kuramea |
Maori name for Catlins River |
|
Kuriwao |
District 48km from Gore 5km sth of
Clinton. Also Kuriwao
Peak - prominent peak within area |
Maori name was ‘Koaka-kaeaea’
– nest of the sparrow hawk |
Kuriwao Stream |
Rises in hills south of Clinton, flows down Kuriwao Gorge, west of Kuriwao
Peak then through Clinton district into Waiwera River |
Kuri means dog and wao is forest |
Lawrence |
96km from Dunedin on Central Otago Highway |
Named in 1857 after Sir HM LAWRENCE, hero of Indian Mutiny |
Lochindorb |
Also known as Shaw’s old run. Top end of Puerua Valley |
Lochindorb is a lake in Morayshire, Scotland |
Long Point |
Prominent headland 7 miles east of Tautuku
Peninsula. |
S.S. Manuka was wrecked here in 1929. Maori name was ‘Irihuka’ –
hanging with foam |
Longbeach Creek |
East of Waikawa Harbour. |
Boundary between Otago and Southland |
Lovell’s Flat |
District between Moneymore and Stirling, 14km from
Balclutha. Also Lovells Creek |
Originally owned by pioneer settler, John LOVELL, one of whose
sons discovered coal at Kaitangata. |
MacKenzie Stream |
Rises near Tarara and flows into Catlins Lake near Ratanui |
Named after Sir Thomas MACKENZIE, MP for district |
Maclennan |
Old railway station on Catlins River line where Maclennan River joins the Tahakopa,
63km from Balclutha |
Murdoch MacLENNAN took up the
MacLennan run in 1884 |
Maclennan Range |
Range between head waters of Tauruku
and Tahakopa Rivers. |
|
Maclennan River |
Small river rising near Ajax Hill, about 5 miles nth of Tahakopa Valley, flows into Tahakopa
River |
Maori name ‘Waimaeroero’ |
Manuka Creek |
District just beyond the Manuka Gorge on Lawrence/Central
Otago highway, 14km from Milton |
Manuka shrub growing prolifically in area |
Manuka Island |
Small island in Clutha River , 3
miles up from Balclutha |
|
Maranuku |
Maori reserve at Karoro |
|
Marshall’s Creek |
Also known as Awakia Stream |
Matthew MARSHALL was a shepherd of Meredith’s Popotunoa Run in 1853 |
Mataipipi |
Old time Maori pa at mouth of Clutha
River near Coal Point |
|
McPhee Cove |
Small bay west of Pillan’s Head |
Named after McPHEE, boat builder at Owaka River |
Measley Beach |
Between Clutha and Tokomairiro |
Large party of Maoris died from
measles c 1835 |
Milburn |
Small settlement 6km north of Milton |
Name derived from ‘Millbourne’, property
name of Mr BLACK, so named because of stream flowing through farm the water
from which drove the wheels of mills at Milton |
Miller’s Point |
Catlins |
|
Milton McGill’s Flour Mill, Milton est 1858 |
Town at heart of Tokomairiro region |
Name derived from Mill Town, the settlement around McGill’s
flourmill and several other mills in the area |
Mokamoka |
Name adopted for short period for Pounawea |
|
Molyneux |
Alternative name for Clutha River |
Captain Cook named what he took to be a harbour after Robert
MOLINEUX, sailing master of ‘Endeavour’ who died during the voyage.
Whalers adopted name for the river. Old miners referred to the river
above Cromwell as the Clutha and below, the Molyneux. |
Moneymore |
District 6km south of Milton |
Named after district in Ireland where guardian of orphaned
MARTIN family came from. Property named Moneymore Farm. Formerly known
as Southbridge or South Toko, name changed as confusion with same name in
Southland. |
Mount Cooee |
Hill on bank of Clutha to north of Balclutha |
So named as settlers often had to ccoey
loudly to attract attention of ferryman. |
Mount Roseberry |
Highest peak in South Otago called the Steep Face area, about
15 miles south of Clinton and 20 miles north of Chaslands. |
Three early runs, the Merrie Creek, the Cairn and the Wisp
shared the rough tussock country of this area. |
Murikauhaka |
Old Maori village at old mouth of
Clutha River (near Port Molyneux) |
Canoes were tied up in a backwater. ‘Muri’ means behind,
‘kauhaka’ a bay |
Narrowdale |
32 miles from Dunedin, near Milburn on southern railway line |
|
Newhaven |
Small settlement near Pounawea at
the mouth of the Catlins River |
|
Nugget Point |
Prominent point of coastline beyond Kaka Point |
Also known as ‘Tokata Point’.
Lighthouse on Nugget Point first lit 1869 |
Nuggets, The |
About 20 rocks off Nugget Point. |
Named this by whalers. Maori
had name for every one |
Ohiti/Ohito |
Catlins Head |
Means ‘cautious, be on one’s guard’ |
Omaru |
Mount Omaru is one of two prominent hills between Romahapa and
Glenomaru. Also
Omaru Stream and Little Omaru Stream, tributaries of Glenomaru
Stream |
Named after a Maori chief |
Opito |
The Blowholes |
Means ‘the navel’ |
Otanomomo |
Old railway siding on Catlins River Line, beyond Finegand. Former school of that name on Settlement
Road, Paretai which changed its name to Paretai after 1960. |
Otanomomo estate established by TELFORD.
In 1858 Thomas REDPATH established the first store south of Dunedin on the Puerua River. |
Otaraia |
Hill that was landmark on old track between Popotunoa and Tuturau. |
Named after Taraia |
Otekura |
District inland from Sandy Bay, about 5miles from Port
Molyneux and further towards coast from Glenomaru
and Ahuriri |
Means place of red feather |
Otiwha |
Little creek near store at Kaka Point |
‘Tiwha’ is patch of shell or wood
put on a hole in a kelp bag |
Owaka |
Town centre of Catlins District, 37km from Balclutha. |
Early variant
of name ‘Owaki’ ‘Owake’ ‘Owarker’. Name means ‘place of the canoe. |
Owaka Harbour |
Known in early days as Catlins River |
Sometimes known as Newhaven Harbour |
Owaka River |
Rises on nthn side of Wisp Range,
flows down Owaka Valley to sea |
|
Paiwata |
Tributary of Kaihiku. |
Spelt by early settlers as ‘Pie-water. Meaning is ‘fence
of storehouse’ |
Papatowai |
Settlement near mouth of Tahakopa
River, south side, 3km from Maclennan |
‘Papa’ is flat, ‘Towai’ is native tree also known as Kamahai |
Papatupu |
Old railway station and post office (1913-1916) closed in
favour of Tawanui |
|
Parae |
Old railway station of Tahora on north bank of Owaka was renamed Parae to
avoid confusion with Tahora in North Island |
|
Paretai |
Lies between the Puerua River and
Koau branch of Clutha River, 16km from Balclutha. |
Originally part of Telford estate. Paretai
means ‘bank of a river’ |
Penguin Bay |
Bay near the ‘Blowhole’, south of Jack’s Bay, north of White
Head |
|
Pillan’s Head |
Headland 2 miles west of Long Point |
Named after WS PILLANS, nephew of FS PILLANS, early runholder |
Pillan’s Stream |
Small creek running into sea east of Pillan’s Head |
Maori name ‘Hiri koura’, the saltwater
crayfish is ‘koura’ |
Pohaaroa |
Peak in Kaihiku Range behind Warepa
Bush |
Name means ‘full love’ |
Pollock’s Hill |
Hill on west side of old railway line between Glenomaru and Hunts Road |
Named after sawmiller |
Pomahaka Downs |
Estate in Popotunoa district |
|
Pomahaka River |
Large tributary of Clutha River, rising in Umbrella Mountains
and Mount Benger, flows along western side of Blue Mountains |
Correct spelling ‘Pou-mahaka’
meaning posts (driven into banks) to snare ducks |
Popotunoa Popotunoa Hill |
District near Clinton, originally referring to wooded hill. |
Name probably refers to boundary between Ngai Tahu and Ngati Mamoe tribes, marked
by post in ground. Post ‘poupou’, ‘tu’
standing, ‘noa’ common to all |
Port Molyneux |
Old township at mouth of Clutha River and entry port for South
Otago, 19km from Balclutha. Township now gone |
After big flood of 1878, the river made two new mouths further
north and the original mouth silted up. |
Pounawea |
Township on estuary where Catlins Lake and Owaka
River join, 5km from Owaka |
Maori name for Catlins Lake. Name
means ‘post set on fire’ |
Puaho |
Road running from Maclennan across
hill to Purakauiti |
Name presumed to be in reference to Ngati
Awa chief, Puoho |
Puerua |
District about 3 miles north-east of Romahapa. Puerua Stream runs into Clutha River near mouth |
Name means ‘two posts’ |
Pukekoma |
District about 29km from Balclutha, north of Hillend |
‘Puke’ means hill, ‘koma’ type of
stone |
Pukepito |
About 8 miles up river
from Balclutha |
BEGG’S station was at Pukepito. Name means hill end |
Pukerau |
Small township between Waipahi and
Gore. |
Names means ‘leaf hill’ |
Puketi |
Small district between Greenfield and Waitahuna
West |
‘Ti’ is cabbage tree ‘Puke’ is hill |
Puketiro Road Builders at Puketiro |
Mountain and old railway station between Owaka
and Tahakopa, 21km from Owaka |
Name means hill with view |
|
|
|
Purakauiti |
Tributary of Purakaunui River |
The little Purakau |
Purakaunui |
Name of small river flowing into Purakaunui
Bay, between Catlins River and Long Point. |
Famous Purakaunui Falls on the river |
Purekireki |
District at head of Owaka Valley,
26km NW of Owaka |
Name means ‘a heap of flax’ |
Purple Hill |
Small hill on right hand side of road about 7-800 metres along
Back Road, Port Molyneux |
Origin of name unknown (can you help?) |
Quakerfield |
Now part of Owaka |
Name of block of land cut up in 1895 |
Rainbow Island |
Small island at northern end of Tautuku
Bay |
Spray from rocks causes a rainbow effect. Maori name ‘Rerekohu’ means
mist carried on the wind |
Rata Range |
Low range of hills extending from Catlins Lake to Wisp Range |
Considered by Maori to be haunted by
wild men of the woods. Two peaks were known as Puku
and Mihi, two women who were carried away while hunting bird in the bush. |
Ratanui |
District and old railway station at head of Catlins Lake |
Name means ‘big or many rata’ (Rata is native tree with red
flowers) |
Reomoana |
Site of old native school at Karoro. |
Means ‘voice of the sea’ |
Roaring Bay |
Small bay south of Nugget Point |
Maori name ‘Wanga-paraoa’.
Wanga means bay; paraoa - sperm whale |
Romahapa |
Township about 13km from Balclutha, old railway station on
Catlins line |
Name means crooked stream Anderson’s Creamery at Romahapa 1908 |
Rongahere |
District on west bank of Clutha River about 3 miles up from
Tuapeka Mouth |
‘Here’ means spear |
Rosebank |
Southern hill area now part of
Balclutha town |
|
Sandy Bay |
Small bay south of Nugget Point, between Roaring Bay and
Cannibal Bay |
Maori name ‘Te One-a-piria’ |
Scrub Burn |
Small creek flowing into Clutha River opposite Rongahere |
Western boundary of goldfield decalred
in 1861 |
Scrubby Knowe |
Hill on north bank of Pomahaka to
east of Back Creek |
|
Shagree Creek |
Small creek flowing into sea at Measley Beach |
|
Shaw’s Track |
Early name given (1850) to what is now road from Warepa to
Balclutha |
|
Slopedown |
22km from Clinton |
Descriptive name given by THOMSON and GARVIE in 1850’s |
Stirling |
Township on east bank of Clutha River 5km from Balclutha |
Archibald ANDERSON gave land for township provided
that railway station be called Stirling after his birthplace in
Scotland |
Stony Creek |
Creek crossing main south road between Benhar
and Lovells Flat, flowing into Lake Tuakitoto |
|
Stuarts |
Old railway station 2 miles from Maclennan,
3 miles from Tahakopa, also school (Papatowai) and post office |
Named after early settler in district |
Summerhill |
High ground on eastern side of Matau branch of Clutha River |
Believed to have been centre of most populated dwelling of
ancient Rapuwai tribe |
Surat Bay |
Bay with long white beach at mouth of Catlins River, west of
False Island, 11km from Owaka |
Ship ‘Surat’ beached and shipwrecked here on New Year’s Day
1874 |
Sweetwater Creek |
At Pounawea |
|
Table Hill |
Flat topped hill, NE of Caberfeidh |
Maori name of ‘Tua-ta-pere’
means fairy mountain. Catlins 1840 map calls it Mount Typo |
Table Hill |
District 11km west of Milton, named for Table Mound, a
flat-topped hill in area |
Area first called Canada (Canada Reef site of quartz mine) |
Tahakopa |
District and end of old Catlins River railway line, 66km from
Balclutha |
‘Taha’ curved; ‘kopa’ side |
Tahakopa River |
Rises in northern slopes of Maclennan
Range, flows down Tahakopa Valley to sea at Tahakopa Bay |
‘Taha’ means land, ‘kopa’ crippled. Bay originally spelt ‘Taupuku’ and
sometimes ‘Tahaukupu |
Tahatika |
Up Owaka Valley about 13km from Owaka |
Name means ‘the correct side’ |
Tahora |
Alternative name for Parae |
|
Tamapai Stream |
Small tributary of Waipahi Stream, locally
called Trumble Creek. |
Thomas TRUMBLE built first hut on Otaraia
Run. |
Tapanui Range |
Known as the Blue Mountains |
|
Tarara |
District 10 miles south of Owaka,
between Ratanui and Papotowai |
Name means ‘a saddle’ |
Taratu |
Once a productive coal mine in Kaitangata hills, east of
Lovell’s Flat |
Name means ‘ridgy ground’ |
Tauhinu |
Maori name for Inch Clutha |
|
Tauhoku Ridge |
Shown on Tuckett’s 1844 map as ridge south or Karoro Creek |
|
Taumata |
Settlement and district on part of Ashley Downs estate |
Name for a place on brow of hill that provided good lookout or
view |
Taupuku |
Old name of Tahakopa Bay |
|
Tautuku Bush |
Name for large area of heavy country that extended from Port
Molyneux to Waikawa. |
To the old Maori, this was home of
the ‘maeroero’, the hairy wild man of the bush who
carried off anyone wandering about. |
Tautuku Peninsula |
Headland south of Tautuku Bay.
Tautuku River rises south of Maclennan
Range and flows into Tautuku Bay |
Name means ‘the coast where the canoes anchored’ of ‘stoop or
bend down’. In 1839 WELLER had a whaling base here |
Tautuku, Mount |
Mountain about 15 miles NE, between Catlins and Maclennan Rivers |
|
Tawanui |
District and old railway station on Catlins river line, 24km
from Tahakopa. |
‘Nui’ big, ‘tawa’ is North Island tree. Southern beech
is ‘tawai’ |
Te Houka |
District on west bank of Clutha River ,
about 16km west of Balclutha |
Tradition says it is named after Te Haoka, Ngati
Mamoe chief killed there c1775 |
The Cairn |
Peak in back country, nth of Slopedown
Range, |
|
Three Stones |
Prominent hill south of Waiwera Peak |
|
Tirohanga |
Small point a mile north of Nugget Point |
Name means ‘view’ or ‘aspect’ |
Toiro |
Old railway station, district 7km west of Balclutha. Toiro Stream flows through Kakapuaka
into Koau above Finegand |
Toiro Store |
Tokata Point |
Southern point on coastline of Otago block purchased in
1844. Alternative name for Nugget Point. |
|
Toko Mouth |
Seaside settlement at mouth of Tokomairiro
River |
|
Tokoiti |
6km east of Milton |
‘Toko’ pole; ‘iti’ small. Once known as Fairfax |
Tokomairiro |
Name for area and plains surrounding Milton |
‘Toko’ means pole |
Totara Island |
Small island in Clutha River , 10
miles upstream from Balclutha |
Early settlers cut totara trees after paying ‘timber licences’ |
Tuakitoto, Lake |
Shallow lake south of Lovell’s Flat |
|
Tuapeka Flat |
10km from Lawrence |
‘Tua’ beyond; ‘peka’ branch of a
river |
Tuapeka River |
Tributary of Clutha River beginning in gold-bearing creeks
around Lawrence. Flows SW to Tuapeka Mouth |
|
Tuatara |
5km from Kaitangata |
Name presumed to mean ‘tua’
beyond/on the other side; ‘tara’ peak |
Tuck’s Bay |
Small bay between Sandy Bay and Cannibal Bay |
|
Tuck’s Stream |
Small stream flowing down Hunt’s Road through Katea to Owaka River |
Named after John TUCK, settler in Katea district |
Tuhawaiki Island |
Small island south of Jack’s Bay, locally known as Jack’s
Island |
Island called after Tuhawaiki, known
as ‘Bloody Jack’ by settlers and whalers |
Tunnel Island |
|
Maori name ‘Taki-koekoea’ |
Two Stone Hill |
Prominent hill 3.5 miles north of Kaitangata. Also known
as Two Tree Hill. Two Stone Stream runs from hill into Lake Tuakitoto |
|
Ururua |
District between Awamangu and Pukekoma |
|
Vial’s Corner |
Corner in Romahapa |
Named for Vial’s Hotel which was built on top side of road |
Waihola |
Lake and district north c10 miles of Milton. Small
township early name is ‘Kapiti’ |
Name associated with Waitaha
occupation of south. |
Waikaro |
Alternative name for Measley Beach |
|
Wai-koata |
Tributary of Purakaunui River |
|
Waipahi |
River and district and old railway station 10 miles NW of
Clinton. River enters Pomahaka River below Conical
Hills |
Wai pahi means slave river, but
believed to be named after the chief Pahi who was born beside it |
Wairuna |
District and old railway station 6km NW of Clinton |
‘Wai’ stream and ‘runa’ means dock |
Wairuna Peak |
Prominent peak between Conical Hills and Otairaia |
|
Waitahuna Island |
Island in Clutha River, just north of where Waitahuna River enters Clutha, opposite mouth of Pomahaka River |
|
Waitahuna River |
Tributary of Clutha River, flowing in from west. |
Waitahuna was a Ngai Tahu chief killed during
Hillend fighting |
Waitahuna/Waitahuna
West |
12km from Lawrence |
Once known as Havelock after Sir Henry HAVELOCK, hero of
Indian Mutiny |
Waitepeka Ploughing at Waitepeka |
District about six miles from Balclutha |
‘Wai’ means stream, ‘peka’ branch |
Waitepeka Stream |
Originally flowed from Waitepeka in
easterly direction below Finegand and around
eastern side of Otanomomo swamp, into the Puerua River |
River course has been altered, part of stream joining Clutha
River below Finegand, the other flowing through Paretai into Puerua River |
Waiwera/Waiwera South |
District and old railway station 24km W of Balclutha |
Named after river rising in Steep Face district, passing to W
of Brown Dome and E of Waiwera Cone, then NW to Clutha River. |
Wallace Head |
Headland on south coast about 2 miles E of Longbeach
creek |
|
Wangaloa |
District up coast from Coal Point |
|
Warepa |
District and old railway station 13km W of Balclutha. |
One of earliest settlements was at Warepa Bush. |
Washpool Creek |
Flows easterly from Kaitangata hills, enters sea above Coal
Point |
Maori name was ‘Te Waihoaka’,
the grindstone stream, after stone used to work greenstone and other hard
stone for tool and weapon making |
Washpool Stream |
Stream flowing through Wharetoa
district into Pomahaka River |
|
Wattys Stream |
Small stream flowing through Clifton into Waiwera about 3
miles from Clutha River |
Also a Wattie’s Creek at Conical Hills |
Wetherstones |
3km from Lawrence |
Named after WETHERSTONE brothers who found gold while pig
hunting |
Wharetoa |
District on west of Clutha River about 3.5 miles SW of Tuapeka
Mouth |
|
Wharuarimu |
Name of post office opened 1908, school called ‘Rimu’ |
|
Whawhapo Creek |
Small creek between Kaka Point and Karoro |
Name means ‘crawling by night’ in reference to incident in Maori fighting |
White Head |
Headland 3 miles SW of Owaka Harbour |
|
Willsher Bay |
Bay at mouth of Karoro stream, near Kaka Point |
George Willsher and companions settled here in 1840 |
Wisp Hill |
Most prominent peak in Wisp Range, the watershed between
Catlins River and headwaters of Owaka River |
Wisp Hill gave name to Brugh’s Run “The Wisp’ and was given by
wife of John CLARKE in 1873. There is a Wisp Hill in Dumfriesshire. |
Woolshed, The |
Early name for Glenore district |
Named such because of large woolshed erected in late 1850’s by
James SMITH |
Last updated 15 Aug 2025
© 2025 NZSG Balclutha Branch (Balclutha Genealogical Society)